From 1st January 2007 it became mandatory for drivers of all vehicles carrying Dangerous Goods to be trained by Department for Transport approved training providers.
You must have the ADR licence if you’re in an HGV or in a Ford Transit and examples could include:
- A road tanker designed to carry dangerous goods.
- A vehicle carrying a demountable tank container.
- A vehicle carrying dangerous goods in bulk.
- A vehicle carrying dangerous goods in packages.
- Any size of vehicle from small van to LGV vehicles including tankers.
After sitting an approved dangerous goods training course and passing an examination drivers receive an ADR Vocational Training Certificate (VTC) valid for 5 years and recognised throughout Europe. Within 12 months of the expiry date VTC holders are required to take a refresher course to bring them up to date with changes in dangerous goods legislation.
The law requires that the main objectives of the training are to:
- Make drivers aware of the hazards arising in the carriage of dangerous goods
- To give them basic information indispensable for minimising the likelihood of an incident taking place
- To enable them to take measures which may prove necessary for their own safety and that of the public and the environment, for limiting the effects of the incident.
All drivers carrying dangerous substances require specialist training.
The need for dangerous goods training is not restricted to drivers. The law states “Persons whose duties concern the carriage of dangerous goods by road shall have received training of the requirements governing the carriage of such goods appropriate to their responsibilities and duties."
The requirement shall apply to individuals such as personnel who are employed by the road vehicle operator or the consignor, personnel who load or unload dangerous goods, personnel in freight forwarding or shipping agencies and drivers not covered by the VTC requirement.
Such training shall include:
- General awareness of the provisions for the carriage of dangerous goods
- Detailed function specific training linked to duties and responsibilities under the regulations governing carriage of dangerous goods.
- Safety training commensurate with degree of risk of injury or exposure arising from an incident with dangerous goods.
To find out more or to book please call our Customer Service Team:
Tel: 0191 286 2919